Sunday, July 28, 2013

Yoga - as in class, as in life! What do you think?

For me, every yoga class is different. Similar to every day in life. For me every yoga class has challenges for me. Similar to every day life. For me every yoga class has a new personal learning. Similar to every day life.

Ok, so you get the gist. For me, what happens for me in yoga is similar what happens for me in every day life.

Today I attended a new yoga class. As I lay among the class as we waited for the teacher to arrive, I heard a lot of chatter around the room. Like what happens in my head a lot of the time. I noticed that while I couldn't make out anything that anyone was saying I was content to just observe and not judge that noise. It kinda started to sound like music...yes I know how that sounds. Up there with "what are you on chick"?


Soon the buzz got a little louder and I was able to make out some of the noise. It seemed that the teacher was late! GASP. Late to a yoga class? Really? Who does that? *cheeky smile* I popped my head up to look at the clock and yes, it was time we were due to start. I noticed the energy of the class shift. People wanted to get on with their practice. "Where is she"? Some where saying and then the stories began. Traffic? Parking? Forgotten? Again, I smiled at the noise..not unlike what would normally go on in my head.

The teacher arrived and it turned out she thought she was stating at a quarter past the hour, not smack bang on it. Not only that, it was her first time teaching this class at this venue. GASP! Nt off to a great start right? Well, this teacher apologised to us for the mix up. Calmly got organised and began the class.

Already people where sighing and tsk-ing at the situation. I smiled and noticed that this yoga class, was no different from every day life. We have expectations about how things will go. About how things 'should' go. We complain and sigh when things don't go to plan. But here is thought...what if that WAS in fact the plan? What if, we are exactly where we need to be right when we are? Think about it...if we were meant to be somewhere else, wouldn't we be there?

Yoga gives us the space to be right where we are and take notice of this. To be in our body and not out making up stories. To check in with where we are. To get a little uncomfortable. To be exposed to our limitations. To acknowledge our progress. To learn new ways of being in our bodies. To be open to change. To drop expectations and competition. I am so grateful to my yoga 'practice'...because like in life...EVERYTHING is a practice!
So I am curious, do you create space to connect with your inner body? I'd love to hear your experiences.

As always, speak kindly to yourself.

Jen
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment